Makes: 7 servings (1 serving = 2.5 ladles)
Cost per serving (Heidelberg): ~€0.96 (without garnish)
Calories per serving: ~334
- 1 package chicken legs/thighs (Schenkel - about 1kg with bones/skin) or any chicken which will yield ~3 cups shredded
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 fresh spicy peppers, sliced (in Germany where this is harder - there are some long skinny ones marked Peperoni imported from the Netherlands or Israel which work)
- 1-lb. or 500-kg bag dried white beans
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons masa harina or corn flour
- ½ cup shredded cheese
In a large pot, saute onions and garlic for about 2 minutes. Add the peppers and beans, followed by 8 cups of the water you cooked the chicken in. Add cumin and salt and pepper to taste.
Cover and cook over low heat. After 1 hour, add the shredded chicken, then continue to cook for an additional hour or until beans are done.
When beans are done, mix milk with masa harina and add to chili. Cook 10 more minutes, then add paprika and cheese and mix well.
Garnish with corn chips, tortillas, guacamole, cheese, tomatoes, parsley, sour cream, or whatever you want, or nothing at all. :)