Sunday, February 26, 2012

Mujadarrah

I found this recipe online one day while searching for something I could make with things I already had on hand.  It's become a huge favorite.  It normally calls for green lentils, but I use brown or red if that's what I have around.

Makes: 4 servings

Cost per serving: ~€0,35 excluding yogurt, ~€0,50 including yogurt

Calories per serving:  ~480 excluding yogurt

Ingredients:
  • 6 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large onion sliced into thin rings
  • 1⅓ cup uncooked lentils
  • ¾ cup uncooked rice
  • salt
  • pepper
  • cumin
  • yogurt 
Put lentils in a large pot with enough lightly salted water to cover them.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the oil.  Since this recipe uses a large amount of oil, you may feel tempted to skimp on it, but I highly recommend using the full amount.  When the oil is hot, add the onions and fry until browned - about 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and set aside.

After the lentils have simmered 15 minutes, add rice and enough water to cover well.  Add salt, pepper, and cumin to taste.  I recommend tons of pepper.  Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until rice and lentils are tender.

Mix half the onions into the lentils.  Use the rest of the onions as garnish.  Top with plain yogurt, or serve cucumber salad alongside it.

No comments:

Post a Comment