Makes: 6 servings
Cost per serving (Heidelberg): ~€1,95 (includes the cost of chicken to make stock)
Calories per serving: ~253
- 6 cups (~1½ liters) chicken stock
- 2 chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1½ cups shiitake or other mushrooms, sliced
- 2" fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tomato, cut in wedges
- 2 Thai chilies, minced (or substitute crushed red pepper flakes)
- ½ 14-oz. or 400-g can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- fresh Thai basil leaves (for garnish)
- green onions, sliced (for garnish)
- wheat or rice noodles
Bring the chicken stock to a boil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, mushrooms, lemongrass (both the minced part and the stalk), lime leaves, and chilies. Boil or simmer until chicken is cooked.
Over medium heat, add ginger, coconut milk, fish sauce, and tomato. Stir well and simmer 1-2 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the wheat or rice noodles in a separate pot according to package directions.
Turn heat to minimum. Add lime juice and stir. Taste the soup - if it's too sour, add 1 tsp. palm or brown sugar. Make other changes as needed.
Put noodles in bowls and ladle soup over them. Sprinkle with basil and onions.