Ingredients for 6 portions:
For the dough:
- 150 g (5.3 oz) lard (Schweineschmalz)
- 375 g (13.2 oz) flour + flour for rolling out
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 200 g (7 oz) onions
- 1 T butter
- 150 g (5.3 oz) raw/cured ham (i.e. Black Forest ham, prosciutto)
- 200 g (7 oz) Crème fraîche
- 125 g (4.4 oz) sour creme
- 3 eggs
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh ground nutmeg
- 200 g (7 oz) fresh white mushrooms (Champignon)
Per portion: 760 calories
- For the dough, heat 130 g (4.6 oz) lard with about 200 ml (6.76 oz) water in a pot. Stir until the lard is dissolved, remove from heat. Stir together the flour and salt in a bowl. Little by little, add the fluid fat to the flour, stirring, then kneading to form a smooth dough. Make into a ball, cover and set in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- For the toppings, peel and finely chop the onions. Melt the butter in a pan, cook the onions, remove from heat. Cut the ham into thin strips and mix in with the onions.
- Stir the Crème fraîche with the sour creme and the eggs. Stir in the onion and ham mixture, add salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F). Take two large baking sheets and grease with lard. Take out the dough, split it in two halves, and roll them out until wafer-thin on a floured surface. Lay each on a greased baking sheet.
- Spread the prepared mixture on the dough. Wash the mushrooms and cut into very thin slices. Spread over the Flammkuchen then place the sheets in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until crispy. Serve very hot, directly from the oven.